The Ins and Outs of Using Floor Protection Boards and Tape
There are a lot of variables that need to be taken into consideration before handling a move, a remodeling job, or a full construction project. When it comes to work sites where a lot of heavy equipment, the chance of someone doing some permanent damage to the flooring that has been installed or that was already there is very real but can be avoided. That is where floor protection boards come into play. The importance of using materials to provide protection to the floors cannot be overstated. Whether you are overseeing a major construction job, moving items into a new home, or are doing a remodeling project, these tips can help protect the floors from scratches, stains, and dents.
- The preparation needs to be fully done. It has been said, in a lot of areas, that at “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” That is the perfect way to look at this. It is easy to work to prevent a problem but can be problematic and expensive to fix it later. It matters not what kind of materials you are working with. All, including linoleum, tile, vinyl, hardwood, bamboo, stone, and everything else, need to be protected from damage. Before you put down your floor protection board or floor protection paper, you have to make sure the surface is totally clean. Any debris or dirt can end up causing damage.
- Clean, clean and clean again. While this was mentioned already, the importance of cleaning your surface is important enough to merit another mention. You may look at a carpet or other flooring and think that it is clean because it looks clean. The problem is that it has been found that carpet that looks clean may not be. In fact, each one square yard of carpet can hold onto up to a full pound of dirt. If you do not remove that before you put in your floor protection products, you will make it a lot harder to get out later because you will have pushed it in deeper.
- Look for more environmentally friendly options. Floor protection boards and paper can be used more than once (most of the time). If you are looking to save some money and do something that is better for the environment, you should look for used versions of both of these. If you own or manage a construction company, you probably know that you can reuse what you use on one job on another. This also can save some time in the project, which is always a good thing. After each use, the paper or board need to be cleaned thoroughly before being packed up and readied for storage.
- Do not forget to bring tape. It has been said that any chain is only as strong as the weakest link. The same can be true in situations like this. You can buy and use the best floor protection boards and paper but they are really only as helpful as the tape you use along with it. You need to get a tape that will survive the stressed that will be placed upon it. You will save a lot of time and go a much better job if you have the tape with you to better use your other floor protection products.
- Think about other ways to use these tools. A lot of the time, floor protection boards and papers are used to protect floors but their use can be expanded to protect stairs, walls, counters, and windows. If you have a surface that to want to protect from water, paint, mud, or anything else, your floor protection products can help there as well. Paper can even be used on ceilings if you find that they may get splattered with anything you do not want up there.
When it comes to a construction job, a remodel project, or completing a move, doing all the work before you start will make a very big difference in how things turn out. By taking the time to get your floor protection boards and paper in order before you start, you can have a better experience with everything.